BEST PLACE TO BUY ANTIQUE/VINTAGE ENGAGEMENT RINGS
You have found your soul mate and it is time to pop the big question. So the next big question is, “Where do I begin?”
There are many things to consider, from style to budget, and your own personal taste. The perfect engagement ring is the one that best suits your personality which is what makes antique and vintage rings a great option.
Each ring has an unrepeatable design and comes with a story of love. People feel drawn to heirloom jewelry for its characteristic craftsmanship that machine-produced jewelry can never achieve. Additionally, vintage and antique engagement rings are typically a more affordable option.
Why Are Antique or Vintage Engagement Rings Special?
1. It Has a Story to Tell: Purchasing antique or vintage jewelry is like owning a piece of someone’s past. Perhaps the piece is passed down from generation to generation carrying stories of each of its owners. Antiques are pieces of history that survived the test of time and maintained integrity while the world around them changed. The nostalgia evoked by possessing an antique piece of jewelry is an incomparable sentiment for many.
2. Great Quality, Design & Nostalgia: Wearing a ring hand-made by skilled artisans using traditional techniques rarely seen in modern jewelry is meaningful and special. Each antique piece reflects the attention to detail and subtle sparkle achieved only by artisans passionate about their chosen profession of creating distinct jewelry one piece at a time. Who wouldn’t like to adorn the special day with an engagement ring that is authentic and the only one of its kind?
How to Choose an Antique or Vintage Engagement Ring?
Investing in antique or vintage jewelry is a massive decision. Don’t shy away from asking questions to ensure what you are purchasing is an authentic heirloom piece well-preserved for decades or centuries and not a reproduced design.
1. Check for the background of the piece. Ask questions to know the era it belongs to. Knowing the history of the ring can be exciting and assuring.
2. Ensure that the supplier is a reliable source and not someone trying to pass you a slightly worn-out piece for antique or vintage. To determine the credibility of the antique jewelry store, you can check the entire collection the shop is offering. A proven way is to check the supplier’s reputation by going through customer reviews and testimonials – it speaks volumes about the service and quality of the products offered by the store. If the majority of the reviews are positive, then it is safe to say that the supplier is reliable.
3. One of the most important things to note while buying antique or vintage jewelry is to check its authenticity. You can closely inspect the jewelry's condition to know if it has gone through any repair or alterations. If you plan to buy online, you can ask for high-resolution photos of the jewelry. Better still, you can call the supplier and ask for certifications or hallmarks to confirm the authenticity and quality of the piece.
4. A crucial factor to consider when buying an antique or vintage ring is its cost. Antique or vintage jewelry is generally slightly less expensive than its modern counterpart. If you come across a price too good to be true, you should probably check twice before committing. Some stores offer excellent layaway plans to make your purchase easy. You can check with the supplier for the terms and conditions related to such plans and also check for return policies so you can make the purchase while knowing all the ins and outs.
The Different Types of Antique or Vintage Jewelry –
The owner of an heirloom ring should be aware of the history associated with the piece to know the full worth of the jewelry.
While both vintage and antique mean belonging to earlier times or dating from the past, the difference lies in their period of origin. Something is classified as antique only when it is more than 75 years old, while an item is vintage when it is at least more than 40 years old.
Additionally, there is Estate Jewelry which in the formal sense is a piece of jewelry previously owned, regardless of the time period.
The Age and Style of the Jewelry are defined by the Era it belonged to -
Mid and Late Victorian Period: 1850 – 1900 – During the reign of Queen Victoria, the discovery of large and plentiful mines paved the way for precious metals and gemstones to create heavy, fashionable jewelry.
Edwardian Period: 1900 – 1915 – This period marked the return of elegantly styled jewelry when engagement rings were often adorned with diamonds. Pearl and platinum were also increasingly used to create pieces that are strong and durable yet demonstrated delicate designs.
Art Nouveau: 1890 – 1915 – This period witnessed defining art movements that celebrated designs in striking contrast to the Edwardian style. Gemstones like opals and moonstones found prominence in jewelry, and durable design gave way to new and dainty styles.
Art Deco: 1920 – 1935 – One of the most prominent styles of this period was characterized by sharp angles and geometrical shapes. Art Deco engagement rings have always been a favorite among admirers of Antique and Vintage jewelry for their bold color, angular looks, and shiny, enameled pieces.
Retro Period: 1935 – 1949 – This period marked bold and powerful designs, with gold taking center stage. It brought notable changes in jewelry designs like large, semi-precious gems in oversized pieces which became a common style. Jewelry of this era was often seen to have a Hollywood influence.
Best Place to Buy Engagement Rings
The best Antique and Vintage Engagement Ring store is the one that offers you jewelry with rich history and exceptional quality like Gesner Estate Jewelry. One of the leaders in Antique and Estate jewelry, Gesner has an impressive collection of more than a thousand unique items.
Home to the most exquisite Engagement Rings, this family-owned business specializes in jewelry from the turn of the 20th century to the late 1940's. In addition, Gesner Estate Jewelry offers Appraisal and Restoration Services to the owners of generation-old precious jewelry.
Why Choose Gesner Estate Jewelry?
If you are looking for the best online jewelry store, Gesner Estate Jewelry is the most trustworthy name you can find. Buying expensive jewelry online can be a little scary so if you are asking yourself why you should choose Gesner, there is only one answer - you will not get better customer service elsewhere! Gesner’s staff provides unparalleled service, from answering all your questions and sending pictures for inspection to shipping your items to your doorstep in a flash. Furthermore, every item is accompanied by a complete Gem Analysis and Appraisal prepared by a G.I.A. Graduate Gemologist.
Gesner is the name standing for TRUST and COMMITMENT. While the business has a beautiful brick-and-mortar store in Tampa, FL the entire inventory is made available on the official website of www.gesner.com which enables you to make an informed choice and acquire the best and most beautiful Engagement Ring for your special day!